Sunday 12 February 2012

Whitney Houston: A legend of early Pop and R 'n' B.


I was joking with a friend about how Twitter was unusually quiet as compared to the normal Saturday evening drama when I saw a tweet saying "RIP Whitney!". Almost immediately, I tuned to CNN and as if to confirm my fear it was written boldly, "BREAKING NEWS: Whitney Houston found Dead." I couldn't believe my eyes. Scenes from her movies started flashing through my head. Her perfect white teeth. Her lips which she adorned with almost every shade of red lipstick. That smile. Her quivering lips when she was singing and smiling. She was just 48! I even read a recent article about her, here. So the news was just heartbreaking. :(

I know a lot of you might judge and say "Its just Whitney", "She was a drug addict", "She got what she deserved"  and all sort of side comments but anyone who's heard any song from her Greatest Hits album cannot help but admit that her voice was powerful!


As I write this, I'm listening to the album and I think everyone must have been able to relate to at least one track on that album even . From I Have Nothing when you're trying to convince your lover to not give up on your relationship to You Give Good Love that can be used to show appreciation to your partner or Count on Me to appreciate the value of friendships or even Greatest Love of All that inspires parents and children alike. I remember when my parents just got separated and my father was always listening to I'll Always Love You...My point is everyone can relate to Whitney's songs despite the age or status.

Whitney might not have been able to get her act together especially in the last 20 years but there's no denying that her amazing voice and songs will remain an inspiration to all!


RIP Whitney -Queen of the Power Ballad.

P.S. Below are You-tube videos of my favourite videos of Whitney. Feel free to share your favourite songs in the comments section.

Xx










1 comment:

Sean, JlS said...

Yeah its a sad loss. She truely 'IS' Special. RIP Whitney.