Sunday 11 March 2012

*insert appropriate title here*

Hello Pixies :D,

I know. I know. I'm not consistent with this blogging thingy. You must probably be thinking I should have just opened a tumblr account or stuck writing to my thoughts on Twitter instead of opening a blogger account. *hangs head in shame*

Anyway, a lot has happened to me in the past 2 weeks. Most of which my memory deemed necessary to temporarily forget (I had nothing to do with it :|). I have learnt a huge amount about the Nigerian Human Specie in the last 2 weeks than I've learnt in my entire 20 years on earth. I've lost friends, made new ones, cooked new meals, done things I never dreamt I could do, procastinated (is this even a word?) more than ever but I'm back feeling all bubbly more than ever :D.

I watched a movie last week, Revolver (Awesome movie which you should totally see if you haven't!) Its kinda old but one of the quotes that I could totally relate to was:

"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning, the only reason you suffer the shitty boss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. "Fear or revere me, but please think I'm special." We share an addiction. We're approval junkies. We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The "hip, hip, hoo-fucking-rah." Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on, you crazy diamond. Cos we're just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others."

I know a lot of people might not agree with the part about "begging for the approval of others" but as usual, to each his own.

On the brighter side, I had (and I'm still having) a lot of cake this week. Brandy Cake with fruits (which I baked for a friend) and someone who promised me a red wine cake for almost 2 years sent it to me this morning. I'm still excited about it despite the millions of calories I'm gaining and I don't care!! I also read an amazing book "Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Adichie". I've never read any of her books apart from 2 of her articles but this is her first novel and for someone's first novel it's really Amazing! I'll probably blog about it later in the week but its a must read!

I also stumbled upon this wonderful poem by Maya Angelou -Still I Rise. It was written in 1978 to describe a black woman who was liberated from her colour in a country where the blacks were inferior to the whites but are slowly equalising racial differences. In my opinion, I think any woman who's being liberated to any problem in life should be able to relate to this poem. Simply written but speaks volumes.
Enjoy. :)

You may write me down in history
With your bitter, twisted lies,
You may trod me in the very dirt
But still, like dust, I'll rise.

Does my sassiness upset you?
why are you beset with gloom?
'Cause I walk like I've got oil wells
pumping in my living room.

Just like moons and like suns,
With the certainty of tides,
Just like hopes springing high,
Still I'll rise.

Did you want to see me broken?
Bowed head and lowered eyes?
Shoulders falling down like teardrops.
Weakened by my soulful cries.

Does my haughtiness offend you?
Don't you take it awful hard
'Cause I laugh like I've got gold mines
Diggin' in my own backyard.

You may shoot me with your words,
You may cut me with your eyes,
you may kill me with your hatefulness,
But still, like air, I'll rise.
Does my sexiness upset you?
does it come as a surprise
That I dance like I've got diamonds
At the meeting of my thighs?

Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.

Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.


Have an Amazing week guys.
X

No comments: